Friday, October 5, 2007

Impress Your Professor: More About Social Computing

Hello Everyone,

Because, well, I am boring I am going to piggyback on Meghan's lovely post last week. I too am obsessed with Facebook [yes, its sad - but I am ok with that] and blogs [this blog has become a started drug - I am now up to 3 blogs].

But Facebook, blogs, and multi-user visual environments (such as Second Life) can become important tools in communicating with patrons.

In a very interesting article in the current issue of the Bulletin there is an article about Second Life, Serious Leisure, and LIS - if you are having problems go to page 38.

Another interesting blog that is relevant is this: Library Crunch. The author of the blog came up with a concept called Library 2.0. While I cannot find a good succinct definition of Library 2.0 on the blog I am going to break a reference rule and link you to Wikipedia. Library 2.0 is derived from the ideas of Web 2.0 and Business 2.0.

This is going to be a very short entry, but I want to hear your opinions. Are we moving way to quickly toward technology and integration in our libraries and will this alienate some patrons who will not want to deal with blogs ect. ?

No comments: